If you have weak teeth, you can restore their function with dental crowns. A dental crown may also be used for teeth that have undergone root canal therapy or large restorations.
Here at Chinook Village Dental in South Calgary, we offer dental crowns to help improve your oral health and enhance your smile.
A dental crown is also known as a cap. Unlike veneers that are only applied to the surface of the tooth, dental crowns are used to cover the entire tooth.
Dental crowns may be recommended by your dentist to fix broken fillings or chipped teeth.
They may also be used for misshapen or discolored teeth.
Crowns can be made using various materials, such as porcelain. Your dentist will recommend a material based on your aesthetic preferences, the position of the teeth, and your habits.
You may qualify for a dental crown if:
● Your teeth have been severely damaged.
● You have stained teeth.
● Your teeth need large fillings.
● Your teeth have had root canal treatment.
● You have worn-out fillings.
● Your old crowns have already deteriorated.
● You have dental implants.
A root canal therapy may leave your teeth weak and vulnerable to fractures. They need to be protected with the help of dental crowns.
A dental crown can be complemented within two dental visits.
● Your dentist will administer a local anesthetic and gently remove a portion of your tooth
to make room for the crown.
● An impression of the tooth will be taken to fabricate your dental crown.
● You will be provided a temporary crown until the final restoration is ready.
● Once your crown is ready, your dentist will remove the temporary crown and cement
the final restoration in place.
● Porcelain crowns. They are the most natural-looking option for crowns, making them
ideal for front teeth. However, they are less durable than metal and composite and may
chip more easily.
● Composite crowns. They can be color-matched to your natural teeth. They may wear
quickly over time due to chewing that’s why they’re seldom used for molar teeth.
● Metal crowns. They’re not as aesthetically pleasing as porcelain and composite due to
their color, but metal crowns are a lot more durable. They’re ideal for use on molars as
they can withstand heavy chewing and are highly resistant to chipping.
● Porcelain fused to metal crowns. They are also stronger than porcelain or composite
crowns and can be used anywhere in the mouth. They look natural and are highly-
resilient, too. They can be used for heavy chewing and biting and won’t break as easily.
Dental crowns may last for 10 years or longer provided they are cared for properly.
If you have already received dental crowns, keep them in good shape with good oral hygiene practices. Be sure to keep up on your routine checkups.
While a dental crown can be sturdy, it’s best to avoid biting down on hard food or objects and using your teeth to open packages.
Dental crowns are a reliable option to restore the health and function of your teeth. See if this is the right restoration option for your case.
Call us today at
Serving the communities of Kingsland, Fairview, Kelvin Grove, Meadowlark Park, Mayfair, Bel-air, Winsor Park, Manchester Industrial, Eagle Ridge, Chinook Park, and surrounding areas.
107-7004 Macleod Trail SE
Tuesday1:00pm - 8:00pmWednesday10:00am - 8:00pmThursday8:00am - 8:00pmFriday8:00am - 3:00pmSunday9:00am - 5:00pm
*Please Note - Call to Make an Appointment as no Walk-Ins or Emergencies are available during the following times:
Mondays - 9:00am-8:00pm
Tuesdays - 9:00am-1:00pm
Saturdays - 10:00am-6:00pm