Do dental visits make you anxious? Dental sedation may help.
● Are you afraid to go to the dentist?
● Does being in the dental office make you feel uneasy, even if it’s only for routine hygiene?
● Do you have a low threshold for pain?
● Will you be undergoing a complex dental procedure, such as tooth extraction?
● Will you be undergoing multiple treatments?
● Are you experiencing severe tooth sensitivity?
● Does your anxiety cause you to cancel or miss dental appointments?
● Are you experiencing discomfort or pain in your mouth, but can’t get yourself to book an appointment with your dentist?
If you answered yes to these questions, then you may be a good candidate for sedation dentistry.
At Chinook Village Dental, we help you reduce the tension, anxiety, and fear of going to the dental office. When necessary, dental sedation can be used even for routine examinations and hygiene cleanings.
Our South Calgary dentists will recommend a type of sedation depending on the level of relaxation that you require. We’ll also consider your overall health condition, age, sedation effects, and the dental treatment you’re receiving.
Sedation dentistry is safe and effective! It will help you relax and receive dental care that you need. The goal of using sedation is to help you achieve good oral health.
We provide nitrous oxide and oral conscious sedation. Before giving you any sedative, we will first examine your medical history, as well as current medications you’re taking.
Each type of sedation functions differently. You will receive one depending on your needs and how sedated or relaxed you want to feel throughout the procedure.
● Nitrous Oxide. Nitrous oxide sedation is a safe and effective sedative that is inhaled through a mask. It helps you relax and stay comfortable throughout the procedure, but it is not intended to put you to sleep. You will still be able to respond to your dentist. You may have some tingling and numbness in your arms and legs. This sedative does not require the use of needles. The effects will also wear off as soon as you remove the mask.
● Oral Conscious Sedation. Your dentist will prescribe a medication to be taken before your visit and topped up as needed during the procedure. This sedative will bring you to a moderate state of sedation. Like nitrous oxide, oral sedatives will not put you to sleep, but it will dull your senses. You may no longer remember the details of the procedure. Oral conscious sedation also does not require the use of needles. There is no single sedative for everyone. Your dentist will discuss ideal options for you and ensure that you are administered the correct and right dose of the drug during your treatment.
Sedatives may wear off right after or a few hours after the treatment. If you are provided laughing gas or nitrous oxide, you may still be able to drive back home safely. Other sedatives do not reverse quickly and may stay in your system for up to 6 hours.
You will need to arrange your transportation beforehand. Your dentist will let you know what you can expect from your sedation and provide you with instructions before, during, and after the procedure.
We want to ensure that your dental visit is as comfortable as possible. Sedation dentistry empowers you to get the dental care that you need. We encourage you to talk to us about your fears and concerns, and we’ll help you look into the best option available.
To learn more about dental sedation in South Calgary, contact our team at (587) 328-1298.
Serving the communities of Kingsland, Fairview, Kelvin Grove, Meadowlark Park, Mayfair, Bel-air, Winsor Park, Manchester Industrial, Eagle Ridge, Chinook Park, and surrounding areas.
Phone: (587) 328-1298
Fax: (587) 356-0881
107-7004 Macleod Trail SE
Monday9:00am - 8:00pmTuesday10:00am - 6:00pmWednesday12:00pm - 8:00pmThursday8:00am - 8:00pmFriday8:00am - 3:00pmSaturday9:00am - 5:00pmSunday9:00am - 5:00pm
Copyright 2023 Chinook Village Dental and Dental Growth Strategies | All Rights Reserved | Powered by DGS